Medicare Supplement Plan N is one of the more popular Medicare Supplement plans. Although Plan F and Plan G are the most popular options, Plan N is 3rd place in popularity for the plans that offer the most coverage. As you may know, Plan F covers the most and has the most expensive monthly premiums out of these three plans. Plan G has less expensive premiums but does not cover the Part B deductible. Plan N is usually the least expensive of the three, but it does not cover the Part B deductible or co-payments for doctors and emergency room visits.
This plan was introduced in June 2010. Compared to the rest of the plans, it is a relatively new Medicare Supplement plan. It was popular almost immediately because it has low monthly premiums while still offering quite a bit of coverage.
Medigap Plan N Coverage
Medicare Supplement Plan N covers the following Medicare expenses:
- Part A coinsurance and hospital costs
- Part B coinsurance and copayment (except $20 for some office visits and $50 for emergency room visits)
- Blood (first 3 pints)
- Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment
- Skilled nursing facility coinsurance
- Part A deductible
- Foreign travel emergency (up to plan limits)
What Medigap Plan N Does Not Cover
Plan N covers everything that Part F and G cover except for: Part B deductible, Part B excess charges, and co-payments of $20 per doctor visit and $50 per emergency room visit. Doctors rarely charge excess charges, and you can ask your primary physician if they charge or not. Aside from the Part B deductible and co-pays, Plan N can potentially save you up to 25% on your monthly premiums.
Medicare Supplement Plan N Standardization
Medicare Supplement plans have been completely standardized since 1991. It is important to understand this before you consider rates from different companies. So, as you consider Medicare Supplement Plan N pricing from various insurance companies, you can feel comfortable that a standard Plan N from each company will be identical in the following ways:
- Same Benefits – Medicare Supplement Plan N has the same coverage, regardless of which company you choose to purchase it from. So, you don’t have to worry about whether one company’s Plan N is going to have more or less benefits than another company. It doesn’t matter which company you buy your plan from, the Plan N benefits will be identical.
- Same Doctor’s Network – The various Medicare Supplement insurance companies do not have their own doctor’s networks. Their plans are only supplements to your primary Medicare Parts A and B coverage. Your network is the nationwide Medicare network. 93% of primary care physicians still accept Medicare. So, you don’t have to worry about whether one company has a better doctor’s network than another. They all share the same network – the Medicare network of doctors.
- Same Claims-Paying Process – Medicare Supplement claims-processing is highly automated now-a-days, making it easy for you to use the coverage. When you receive your medical services from your physician, they will only submit your claim to Medicare and not to your Medicare Supplement insurance company. Medicare uses a clearinghouse that knows which Medicare Supplement plan and company you use. Once Medicare approves your claim, they will pay the physician their portion and will notify your Medicare Supplement company, through the clearinghouse, of the amount due to the physician from your Medicare Supplement insurance company. The Medicare Supplement company cannot decide they don’t want to, or shouldn’t have to, pay their portion of the claim. They have no choice. They must pay the amount due per Medicare’s instructions. This is automated and completely standardized from company to company. So, you don’t have to worry about whether one company is better at paying for claims than another. Due to the automation and standardization in this area, they’re all equal in their claims-paying history.
Knowing about the different areas of standardization makes it extremely easy to consider rates for Medicare Supplement Plan N from any company. So, it really comes down to who is going to offer the best rate from a company you can trust for your Plan N.
That’s one reason so many Medicare recipients turn to GoMedigap. We care about educating our clients through the buying process and ensuring you have options from over 30 providers nationwide. This ensures that you’ll know what you’re buying and have the choices available to find the best value.
Medicare Supplement Plan N Pricing
Medicare Supplement Plan F, Plan G, and Plan N are the three most popular Medicare Supplement plans, because they offer the most coverage. Of the three most popular plans, Plan N is usually the least expensive option. Though the premiums are typically lower, it still offers quite a bit of coverage.
If you do not frequently visit the doctor, a Plan N may be the right choice for your Medicare Supplement coverage.
Nothing on this website should ever be used as a substitute for professional medical advice. You should always consult with your medical provider regarding diagnosis or treatment for a health condition, including decisions about the correct medication for your condition, as well as prior to undertaking any specific exercise or dietary routine.